The Fabulous FIND feature of Windows
Use the FIND feature to:
LOCATE, OPEN, DELETE, RENAME, PRINT OR MOVE A FILE TO A FLOPPY OR ANOTHER
How: 1) Click on
START, then FIND and the FILES OR FOLDER (In Win ME Click on START, then
2) Make sure the "Look In" box has the drive you want to search...most likely "C"
3) Enter the name of the file you are looking for followed by . and then
the file type
4) Some common file types are .doc for Word documents, .jpg or .gif for image, .wpd for Word Perfect documents, .xls for Excel Spreadsheets. There are many types of files
5) Use the * asterisk as a "wild card" if you're not sure of the name or spelling of a file. You can use more than one * in a search either in the name or the file type.
Examples: *.doc will find all WORD documents
*.jpg will find all jpg type images
*m*.doc will find all WORD documents containing an "m" in the name
*.zip will find all zip files
6) Once you've completed the search you can sort the columns by clicking
on the header to help you locate a file if many are listed. For example,
click on the Name column header and the list will sort in alphabetical
order, click on size and the files will be sorted by file size, etc.
Click on the header a second time and the list will sort in reverse.
By listing chronologically you can often find a file that was recently
created or modified.